WHY AM I D-LINED

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Bryn

WHY AM I D-LINED

Postby Bryn » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:17 pm

I rarely rarely goto efnet due to its obvious congestion yet its upsetting to know that now i cant get there at all. I have been given a link to a site that says i have an open proxy yet when checked ive found that i have none nor has my ip been blacklisted. Would someone tell me whats goin on? I have checked and am not on any blacklists. Anyone know whats up with this?
wundr

Re: WHY AM I D-LINED

Postby wundr » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:21 am

Bryn wrote:I rarely rarely goto efnet due to its obvious congestion yet its upsetting to know that now i cant get there at all. I have been given a link to a site that says i have an open proxy yet when checked ive found that i have none nor has my ip been blacklisted. Would someone tell me whats goin on? I have checked and am not on any blacklists. Anyone know whats up with this?
It doesn't really make sense that you have been banned because your IP was found in a black list, yet it isn't actually in that black list. The server looks up your IP in the black list, and when it finds a match, it sets the ban. Are you sure your IP doesn't fall inside a range of IPs that have been banned?

If you are correct and you aren't listed in any black lists, then you should contact the server admins/opers of the server from which you were banned. If you can get on any other server (there are a lot of open servers these days, and not all of them use these black lists), you can do /stats p irc.server.com , which will list for you the opers on that server and their idle time in seconds. If you can't get on IRC, follow the 'servers' link on the front page of http://www.efnet.info ... here, you can find contact email addresses for all servers. Not all servers have opers/admins that check these forums, and in fact, I think most don't, making these forums not the best place to go to to get bans lifted.
ksn

banned and D line

Postby ksn » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:36 pm

i had the surpise today to see i can't connect to efnet.demon.co.uk because i'm supposed to be banned with open proxy (what does it mean ?) or something...

i just read a thread here saying to connect to irc.blessed.net. i did and it first worked, then it said i was D-lined (what does it mean too ?). now each time i try to reconnect, the connection is just "reste by peer"...

what's happening what am i suppose to do ???
lucy

Re: banned and D line

Postby lucy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:11 pm

ksn wrote:what's happening what am i suppose to do ???
try another server. there are 40 or so to choose from:
http://www.efnet.info/?module=servers

although it sounds like you might have a bad internet connection, if so there's nothing you can do about the connection reset by peer. you could try calling and complaining to your ISP, but they would probably think you were crazy if you said you keep getting connection reset by peer on EFnet
ksn

Postby ksn » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:39 pm

well i've been connecting to efnet witht hese servers and this isp for quite some time now (several years from time to time) and never had these banned or d-lined troubles.......

what the hell ???
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:39 pm

if you're getting banned with open proxy messages, maybe you should check to see if you are an open proxy?
try the tools on http://spamlinks.openrbl.org/tools-proxy.htm#web
also check http://openrbl.org to see if you are listed in blacklists. i know many servers use blitzed.org, njabl.org, and/or dsbl.org blacklists. follow directions on whatever blacklists you might be listed on for getting removed from that list.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
ksn

Postby ksn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:26 pm

thanks for your answer, it's ok now (getting another IP each time i connect to my fai)

i think i might have an answer about the troubles i had : it seems like a problem with my antivirus software (don't know why) i changed to another one and it's ok now
tetedupet

Postby tetedupet » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:30 am

I've had this problem before. If you use a dynamic IP it's the type of thing you're likely to get subjected to. In my case, someone had previously been using the IP I was using and they had an open proxy. I had to wait until my IP changed before I could use the server I wanted to. :)